A furious mum has slammed bungling medics after her toddler son had his eye glued shut when he was treated at hospital.
Kayleigh Fisk said her son Clayton was left “screaming in pain” when glue used to nurse his cut eyebrow dripped onto his face and eyelashes.
The hospital has apologised for the blunder and vowed the glue will not be used near eyes again.
But Kayleigh, of Ipswich, Suffolk, says she still angered by the error which she fears may result in “lasting damage” to Clayton’s right eye.
Kayleigh said: “It’s just ridiculous because they glued his eye shut and allowed him to go home and come back again.
“I’m also worried he might have suffered some lasting damage to his eye.
“I still don’t feel I’ve been given enough reassurance about this.”
She said Clayton was admitted to Ipswich Hospital’s A&E department after he cut his right eyebrow when he hit his head on a bedside table.
According to a letter of apology sent to Kayleigh, a doctor and nurse treated the infant’s laceration with tissue glue.
Kayleigh claims the nurse got her fingers stuck to Clayton’s cheek as she treated him.
She said the glue had dripped onto his eyelashes and face – causing the eye to stick together.
Medics tried to wash the glue out of Clayton’s eye with saline solution, but some of it dried on his eyelids.
The distraught tot was sent home only to return at about 11pm that night “screaming in pain” because his eye was so sore.
“It was really bad because we just didn’t know what was being done,” Ms Fisk told the Ipswich Star .
“You could see he was in pain – when we took him home he started to scream and cry in pain so we had to take him back to A&E to get the rest of the glue washed out.
“What I don’t understand is why was this not done in the first place?”
She alerted the hospital’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and received a letter back from medics apologising for the fiasco.
The doctor who treated Clayton apologised personally and said he’d not used his “best judgement”.
Ipswich Hospital spokeswoman Jan Ingle said: “We are very sorry that this happened to Clayton when he came into us.
“We have carefully and thoroughly looked into all of the circumstances surrounding his care.
“In our letter to Clayton’s family we set out clearly the steps taken to ensure that the tissue glue used to treat Clayton will not be used near eyes again.”
“All of our staff have been informed about this.
“If Clayton’s family still have concerns we would be more than happy to meet with them to discuss them.”