Chaos in the courtroom as father attacks his three-year-old daughter’s killer during sentencing hearing
- Jasmine Gordon, 25, and her boyfriend Clifford Thomas, 34, were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of three-year-old Jamila
- On Friday, Jamila’s biological father Dwayne Smith was set to give a victim impact statement in Detroit, Michigan court
- Instead of addressing his daughter’s mother and her boyfriend, he punched Thomas from behind
- Sheriff’s deputies had to intervene to keep the two men apart
- Court later resumed and Gordon and Thomas were sentenced; the judge did not hold Smith in contempt of court for the outburst
A fight broke out in a Detroit, Michigan, courtroom on Friday, as a father attacked the man responsible for killing his three-year-old daughter during a sentencing hearing.
Dwayne Smith’s daughter Jamila died in September 2014, after her mother Jasmine Gordon and Gordon’s husband Clifford Thomas took her to the hospital when she stopped breathing.
The couple claimed that the little girl hit her head and then fell unconscious, but experts later determined that the girl’s death was a homicide, after suffering physical abuse from Thomas.
Both Gordon and Thomas were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in separate trials, but appeared in court at the same time on Friday so that victims wouldn’t have to give their statements twice.
Smith was one of the victims in court set to address the couple, but instead of speaking his frustrations he decided to physically attack Thomas.
Video taken from inside the court shows the moment that Smith punched Thomas, as the convicted child abuser was sitting, facing the judge, dressed in a yellow jail uniform.
A fight then breaks out between the two men and sheriff’s deputies have to step in to separate them.
After the fight, Smith was ordered out of the courtroom and now allowed to return. However, the judge decided not to hold him in contempt of court, and he was allowed to go without facing any charges for the tussle.